Sports Physiotherapy is a branch of Physiotherapy, which focuses on the prevention and management of injuries sustained whilst training and competing in sport. Whether you are an elite athlete, weekend warrior or just enjoy being active, the team at Stellar Physio has the expertise to get you back to full function so you can continue on with your sport.
Sports injuries usually differ to everyday injuries due to the demands placed on the body during physical activity. It is important that an injury is correctly assessed and managed, as failure to do so can cause long-term complications and prolong a return to sport.
Common sporting injuries that we treat:
- Ankle sprains
- Hamstring strains
- Calf strains
- Plantar fasciitis
- Shoulder impingement and instability
- ACJ injuries (acromio-clavicular joint)
- Tennis Elbow (lateral epicondylalgia)
- Golfers Elbow (medial epicondylalgia)
- All knee pain & injuries (patellofemoral, meniscal, ligament, tendonosis)
- Groin pain
- Muscle contusions “corks”
- Pre and post-operative rehabilitation
Our injury management strategies have an emphasis on rectifying the cause of the problem rather than solely treating the symptoms. Our goal is to leave our patients with the tools to prevent reoccurrence, and feeling able to perform better than prior to the initial injury. We use the latest evidence-based techniques and motion analysis at our state of the art clinic to treat injuries including, but not limited to:
- Myofascial manipulation
- Joint mobilisation and manipulation
- Dry Needling
- Exercise Prescription and Late-Stage Sport-specific rehabilitation
- Periodisation and training load monitoring.
- Video technique and movement analysis and enhancement
- Screening and injury prevention
- Prescription of Strength and Conditioning programs to improve muscle mass, strength, power, endurance, flexibility as well as speed, agility and cardiovascular fitness
- Open communication with coaches, trainers
- Rigid Taping
Musculoskeletal Screening for Injury Prevention
Musculoskeletal screening is the process of identifying risk factors for injury and poor performance in your chosen sport. Elite athletes and sporting teams’ complete screenings regularly, to develop individualised training programs to help athletes stay at their best, or make it to the next level. We highly recommend this at Stellar Physio for Elite through to Novice athletes. Prevention is the best cure.
Every screen is personalised to the athlete’s sport and retesting is done accurately to assess the effectiveness of the individual’s training program. All of our screening tests are developed from evidence based research. Stellar Physio offers Musculoskeletal Screening for:
- Track and Field Athletics